History of The Circle Players

 

In 1934 a small drama group was formed by local residents, Bill and Connie Webb, at the newly built Community Centre in the heart of a new housing development in Kingstanding, North Birmingham.  Starting with a membership of nine we were called The Perrystanding Players.  Shortly afterwards our name was changed to the Kingstanding Community Players and remained as such until 1965 when we changed to The Circle Players.  Our group has continuously performed since 1934, making us one of the longest established amateur groups in the country.

When the Community Centre was first built there was no stage so the first five plays were performed on a makeshift pop crate platform!  By the late 1940s The Circle Players were well and truly established as a thriving drama group presenting two plays every year, and entering local competitive drama festivals where we were met with considerable success.  By the 1950s we were producing four plays a year, and then in the 1980s we settled on the current format of three.  In the late 1980s rehearsal premises were found in Great Barr and an arrangement was negotiated for the hire of Aldridge Youth Theatre and our first performance there in 1990 was “Once a Catholic”.

The Circle Players is a totally independent and self-financing group and is always ready to welcome new members at Tuesday night rehearsals at Great Barr Library at 8pm.

© The Circle Players

Website designed by 103 Media™

Aldridge Youth Theatre, Noddy Park Road, Aldridge, WS9 8NQ

Box Office: 07949 358814 

Email: thecircleplayers@hotmail.com

Registered Charity Number: 1178147

  • facebook